CSUSM and Murrieta Valley Unified to Sign MOU
Media Advisory by Margaret Chantung
Agreement Guarantees University Admission to Graduating Seniors
Who: California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) President Karen Haynes, Murrieta Valley Unified School District (MVUSD) Superintendent Pat Kelley and other champions for improving university accessibility for Murrieta youth.
What: CSUSM and MVUSD will sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to provide increased college preparation, guaranteed admission and ongoing academic support to qualified graduating seniors. The agreement launches an alliance that takes effect with the graduating class of 2017.
When: Thursday, May 8 at 7 p.m.
Where: Murrieta Valley Unified School District Support Center 41870 McAlby Court, Murrieta
Why: To ensure that students from Southwest Riverside County are academically prepared for college and to provide guaranteed admission placement should they meet minimum California State University requirements and deadlines.
Additional: CSUSM has previously signed other similar agreements with:
- Carlsbad Unified School District (2013);
- Vista Unified School District (2013);
- Oceanside Unified School District (2011);
- Temecula Valley Unified School District (2011);
- San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency (2008);
- Riverside County Public Social Services Agency (2008)
- Santa Ysabel Band of Diegueno Indians (2007);
- San Pasqual Academy (2007);
- Escondido Union High School District/Escondido Union School District (2006);
- Fallbrook Union High School District/ Fallbrook Union Elementary School District/Bonsall Union School District/Vallecitos School District (2006);
- Valley Center-Pauma Unified School District (2006);
- San Marcos Unified School District (2006)
In total, including the MOU with Murrieta Valley, CSUSM serves nearly 200,000 K-12 youth in North San Diego and Southwest Riverside Counties through these guaranteed admission agreements.