Apply for Pilot Program for Students With Intellectual Disabilities
We are excited to announce the CSUSM Aspiring Scholars pilot program, an Inclusive Post-Secondary Education (IPSE) program for students with intellectual disabilities. It is a non-degree, four-year university program for students with intellectual disabilities seeking an inclusive college experience. Students participate in academic courses, vocational internships, independent living skills instruction and campuswide social activities with the goal of competitive integrated employment. They will learn and grow alongside their CSUSM peers, becoming an active part of the campus community. Upon completion, students will earn an academic and career studies higher education certificate.
Individuals with intellectual disabilities who want an inclusive college experience, are seeking to gain meaningful competitive integrated employment, and meet eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply.
- Is at least 18 years of age.
- Has a documented intellectual disability.
- Completed high school with a diploma or certificate by Aug. 1, 2023.
- Has a strong desire to gain employment after completion of the CSUSM Aspiring Scholars program and is striving toward independence.
- Is comfortable with a dynamic schedule and has intrinsic motivation to participate in all program components (academic instruction, vocational skills, independent living skills instruction, campus activities).
- Is able to complete daily needs, access their physical environment and safely function with minimal to no supervision. (Note: If a student has prearranged supports, indicate this on the application.)
- Is able to communicate needs effectively (inclusive of communication devices).
- Has the ability to get along with peers, follow rules and accept direction.
- Is able to effectively and appropriately participate in and benefit from the program.
Student applications are due Friday, June 16.
For more information about the program and how to apply, please contact Dr. Rebecca Brooks at email@example.com.