San Marcos,
11:13 AM

CSUSM Offers Free Tax Prep to Students

Press Release | By Eric Breier

Frustrated by the complexities of tax rules and forms? California State University San Marcos is helping to ease the tax maze by offering free tax preparation and assistance to students through a Facilitated Self-Assistance (FSA) Tax Program.

The FSA Program is run by trained, certified accounting students under the supervision of the CSUSM Accounting Department.

Registration is required. Please read the common documents list below to ensure a complete tax return.

Questions about the program can be directed to Maia Farkas, assistant professor of tax accounting, at


What: Facilitated Self-Assistance (FSA) Tax Program

When: Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:30-11:30 a.m., 1:30-4:30 p.m.; Fridays 1:30-4:30 p.m.

Where: CSUSM College of Business Administration, Markstein Hall, Room 435

Registration: To schedule an appointment, please visit and enter password: csusmfsa15

Information: Email Maia Farkas, assistant professor of tax accounting, at

* Please bring a laptop to the appointment


Common Documents Needed for Tax Prep

• Proof of identification (photo ID)

• Social Security cards for self, spouse and dependents

• An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for self, spouse and dependents if person does not have a Social Security number

• Birth dates for self, spouse and dependents on the tax return

• Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers

• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)

• All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements

• Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received

• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available

• Total paid for daycare provider and daycare provider's tax identifying number such as Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number

• Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements

• Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

• W-2s for each job held in 2016 for each person in the household; this form reports name, wages, and other tax information to the IRS

• 1099s showing other income (unemployment, Social Security, school loans, health-care reimbursement, state tax refund, gambling winnings, contract work) that is reported to the IRS

• 1098s showing payments made to school loans or property tax

• Income/interest statements received for any savings account/investments

• Bank account numbers: a voided check or your bank or credit union’s routing number and savings or checking account number for your refund to be deposited automatically into your account through direct deposit.