School of Education Helps Organize Summit for Future Teachers
The School of Education at Cal State San Marcos was one of the primary organizers of a recent event for future teachers that attracted hundreds of participants.
The inaugural Future Teacher Summit was held on Friday, April 21 at Mesa College and was attended by more than 400 high school and community college students.
Led by education professor Pat Stall, CSUSM was among the core group of planners for the event, along with Mesa College and the San Diego County of Education. Other organizers included the San Diego State College of Education and area high schools.
Several faculty members from the School of Education presented at the summit, including Stall, Laurie Stowell (also the school’s director), Moses Ochanji, Erika Daniels and Wynne Love, a distinguished teacher in residence. Some middle level teacher candidates also presented with Daniels, and a panel of CSUSM teacher credential students discussed their experiences.
Among the topics of breakout sessions were:
- Teaching Social and Emotional Learning Through Play
- After-School Programs and Expanded Learning: Your First Step on an Educator’s Career Pathway
- Bilingual Teaching: Affirming First Language and Culture in the Classroom
- Black Teachers Matter: The Past, Present and Future of Being a Black Teacher in Public Schools
- Careers In Education: Which Grade Level Is for You?
- SchoolsFirst Credit Union: Financial Education Workshop
- Teaching as an Act of Social Justice
- Life/Work Balance in an Education Career
- Making a Difference for Young Adolescents
- The Tutor-to-Teacher Pipeline: Learning Assistance Will Transform the Future of Education
- The Need for STEM Teachers of Color
- Shape a Better Society – Become a Special Education Teacher
- Re-Envisioning the Recruitment of Latino Teachers
Stowell said feedback from the students was very positive and that planning for the event next year has already begun.
“For a first-time event, it was a great success,” she said.
Brian Hiro, Communications Specialist
email@example.com | Office: 760-750-7306