Call for Nominations: President’s Student Champion Award for Inclusive Excellence and Diversity
Nomination Deadline: September 23, 2016
Purpose of the Award
The President’s Student Champion Award for Inclusive Excellence and Diversity is an annual award that bestows the highest level of recognition to a CSUSM student for significant achievements in advancing the University’s goals in the areas of diversity, inclusive excellence, educational equity and social justice.
August 29 Call for Nominations
September 23 (8 a.m.) Deadline for Nominations
October 3 (8 a.m.) Committee selections due to the President
October 18 Award Announcement
October 25 All People’s Luncheon
All current CSUSM students with a minimum 2.75 GPA are eligible for nomination. This includes all graduate and undergraduate students who graduated in May 2016 or over the summer of 2016.
Students may be nominated by any campus community member or self-nominate.
Nomination packets and questions should be directed to Marilyn McWilliams in the Office of Diversity, Educational Equity and Inclusion. She can be reached at (760) 750-4039 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nomination packets must include the following (Please note: Two items are provided by student nominee.):
- Prepared by the student nominee, no length requirement or limit: Campus involvement resume detailing campus activities and accomplishments that contribute to diversity and inclusion at CSUSM as described in the selection criteria section below.
- Prepared by the student nominee, no length requirement or limit: Personal statement regarding the significance of personal involvement in campus diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Recommendation from faculty or staff citing contributions made to diversity and inclusion at CSUSM (no length requirement or limit).
- All nominations must address criteria number 1 below. Although not required, nominations should also address criteria numbers 2-4. Awards will be based on a nominee’s efforts and activities as a student at CSUSM.
- CSUSM Goals – How has the nominee demonstrated significant achievement in advancing the University’s goals in the areas of diversity, educational equity, inclusive excellence and/or social justice?
- Leadership – How has the nominee demonstrated superior leadership and commitment to the enhancement, development and sustainability of diversity, inclusive excellence, educational equity and/or social justice?
- Creativity – How has the nominee advanced existing diversity initiatives in unique and creative ways?
- Impact – Has the nominee been successful in advancing the University’s goals in the area of diversity? What has been the impact or results of their efforts?
The Selection Committee will be comprised of the Dean of Students, the Diversity Faculty Fellow, a recipient from a past President’s Inclusive Award, a student representative from ASI and the AVP for Diversity, Educational Equity and Inclusion.
Committee members will review nominations and recommend two nominees to the President, providing their strengths and weaknesses. The President will make the final decision based upon the Selection Committee’s recommendations. Interviews of finalists for the award may be conducted in order to identify the recipient.
The President’s Student Champion for Inclusive Excellence and Diversity will be identified by October 18, 2016, and will be recognized at the All People’s Luncheon on October 25, 2016, noon to 1:30 p.m.