Call for Volunteers to Help Distribute iPads
In an effort to help bridge the digital divide among students, CSUSM is one of eight campuses participating in a California State University initiative called CSUCCESS (California State University Connectivity Contributing to Equity and Student Success).
Through this innovative program, all CSUSM first-year and transfer students can register to receive a new iPad bundle, which includes a 64-gigabyte iPad Air, an Apple Smart Keyboard Folio and an Apple Pencil, as well as technology support from Instructional and Information Technology Services (IITS).
IITS is seeking volunteers to help distribute the bundles to students on Tuesday, Aug. 24 and Wednesday, Aug. 25 in Craven Circle. We are anticipating about 1,500 students coming to pick up their bundle during these two days.
Volunteers will assist IITS in moving equipment and delivering items to students in their cars. Students will go through a brief setup process and sign for the device. Volunteers will not be expected to provide technical support, as IITS will have staff available to assist students.
We welcome your assistance in helping our new students. To volunteer, simply visit the link below and indicate the times that you are available. A light lunch and water will be provided to volunteers both days, and pizza will be provided to those working until 8 p.m. on Tuesday. No confirmation email will be sent, so please plan to arrive in Craven Circle a few minutes before your selected time(s). Be sure to wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes. You may also wish to bring sunscreen and a hat as this is an outdoor event.
You will be given an assignment when you arrive. The anticipated assignments include:
- Logistics and moving equipment: Pulling iPads from storage and breaking down pallets.
- Inventory control: Packaging iPads and materials for students.
- Student delivery (primary volunteer group): Carrying iPads out to students in their cars.
- Basic technical support: Assisting students with iPad startup, connecting to CSUSM wireless and logging in to campus applications.
- Student check-in: Assisting with validating student IDs and directing to parking.
- Setup and breakdown crews: 8 a.m. Tuesday, 8 p.m. Tuesday, 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, 5 p.m. Wednesday.
- Traffic control: Police and Parking and Commuter Services only.
Thank you for helping the campus welcome our incoming students during this special program and event.
Dean/Chief Information Officer