CSUSM Introduces Quiet Week, Jan. 3-7, 2022
Dear CSUSM staff and administrators,
We are extremely grateful for all the ways you have supported our students and our mission since the onset of the pandemic. This time has been challenging in many ways, and we know many of you are ready to take some time off at the end of this calendar year.
To promote wellness and self-care, CSUSM is introducing a new concept of a Quiet Week (Jan. 3-7, 2022) where employees are encouraged to take accrued vacation time during an already quiet period of the year. The program is highly encouraged but optional.
We know some employees will welcome the opportunity to take vacation leave, while others may desire quieter time to work. Time off, especially extended time, allows us to come back feeling refreshed and recharged with renewed focus.
Here is how this will work:
- Employees are encouraged to take accrued vacation time from Jan. 3-7, 2022.
- To maximize the number of employees able to participate, campus operations will be reduced, although the campus will remain open to offer critical services.
- Meetings and collaborative projects should be deferred until Jan. 10. Communications, such as emails and Teams messages, should be limited to only those working that week.
- Employees who do not desire to take vacation leave and/or do not have vacation leave accumulated may work their normal work schedule during this week.
- For those areas that must remain open, managers will work with employees to offer as much flexibility as possible. If time off isn’t possible, they will work to identify other days you may take if you’d like to use your vacation time.
The campus schedule will be:
Friday, Dec. 24 - Christmas Day observed
Monday, Dec. 27 - Holiday (move Columbus Day)
Tuesday, Dec. 28 - Holiday (move Lincoln’s Birthday)
Wednesday, Dec. 29 - Holiday (move Admissions Day)
Thursday, Dec. 30 - Campus closed
Friday, Dec. 31 - New Year’s Day observed
Monday, Jan. 3, 2022 - Quiet Week (use of vacation strongly encouraged)
Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2022 - Quiet Week (use of vacation strongly encouraged)
Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022 - Quiet Week (use of vacation strongly encouraged)
Thursday, Jan. 6, 2022 - Quiet Week (use of vacation strongly encouraged)
Friday, Jan. 7, 2022 - Quiet Week (use of vacation strongly encouraged)
Monday, Jan. 10, 2022 - Normal campus operations resume
Together, we've accomplished so much over these past two years. Now is the time for us to take a collective and restorative breath.
If you have questions about Quiet Week, please contact your manager or the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Associate vice president, Office of Human Resources