New Mobile App Connects Campus
By Katie Chappell
There's a new way for students to connect with campus. This summer, CSUSM launched its first official mobile application - a new way to access campus with the touch of a button.
The app offers access to university resources, helps students navigate the campus, and provides news and event information. Perhaps the most popular feature this week will be a live video stream showing the line at campus Starbucks.
The app's developers say it's perfect for a generation that depends on their mobile devices to access information on the go.
“CSUSM’s first official mobile app will change the way that students interact with their university,” said Chief Information Officer Kevin Morningstar. “This is just the start. We will be releasing new updates every semester to make campus life easier and open up ways to interact with our services that have never existed before.”
Designed collaboratively by Instructional & Information Technology Services and the Office of Communications, the app will evolve to continue to meet the needs of students and the campus community.
An upgrade in late fall will provide students with access to their MyCSUSM accounts to search for courses, view their schedules and grades and check their to-dos.
Some highlights of the app’s functionality and features are:
- Welcome – Don't miss a single Weeks of Welcome event, access campus maps and directions, housing move-in details and checklists, and campus contacts and resources.
- Find a Lab – See which computer labs are open and how many stations are available for use.
- Find a Printer – View public printer locations on campus and their status.
- Dining Hours and Locations – Know where to grab a bite to eat by viewing the dining module's green or gray button noting hours and currently open locations.
- Campus Map – Find mobile-friendly walking and driving directions to buildings and spaces across campus.
- Connect – Engage with news, video and social media feeds, access a searchable campus directory, and view featured events.
For more information, visit: http://www.csusm.edu/mobile-app/