Seeking Friendship Families for Iraqi Young Leaders Exchange Program
From July 13- Aug. 1, 2019 the American Language and Culture Institute of CSUSM is hosting a group of 25 Iraqi university students— The Iraqi Young Leaders Exchange Program— sponsored by the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad and implemented by World Learning NPO in Washington, DC. CSUSM is one of the four universities in the U.S. hosting this program in 2019. Through this program, participants develop leadership and civic engagement skills, foster respect for diversity, and build mutual understanding between the people of Iraq and the U.S.
In 2018, CSUSM hosted this program for the first time. Based on the 2018 cohort’s feedback, we have added a new exciting component to the program—Friendship Family!
The Friendship Family Program is a non-residential volunteer program. Our goal is to pair up two Iraqi students with a CSUSM family to experience the American lifestyle, engage in cultural exchange, and participate in the local community events. Below are the program requirements:
• Attend Friendship Family orientation from noon-1 p.m. on Wednesday, June 26
• Attend a Welcome Breakfast on Monday, July 15 from 9-10 a.m. (optional)
• Host students on Sunday, July 21, and Sunday, July 28, from 10 a.m.- 7 p.m.
• Attend a Farewell Ceremony Luncheon on Wednesday, July 31 from noon-2 p.m. (optional)
Volunteers will also be asked to:
• Pick up the students on campus at 10 a.m. and drop them off at 7 p.m. (Note: A valid Defensive Driving certificate is required. Each CSUSM friendship family will receive a $50 gas card.)
• Always have at least 1 more family member present when hosting the students.
• Provide lunch and dinner (home cooked or restaurant) on Sunday, July 21 and 28. Student dietary restrictions will be shared in advance.
• Share activity plans with the program coordinators in advance.
If you would like to participate in the program, please fill out an application by 5 p.m. on Friday, May 17.
For questions, please contact the ALCI Office at 760-750-3200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.