Students to Host Inaugural TEDxCSUSM Event Nov. 4
By Eric Breier
Eight guest speakers will tackle some of today’s leading issues at the inaugural TEDxCSUSM event on Saturday, Nov. 4 at Cal State San Marcos.
The TEDxCSUSM event, which is licensed by TED, was organized by a team of CSUSM students.
“We believe that our generation needs to be reminded just how much power a single individual has,” said Nick Blaylock, the TEDxCSUSM curator and a global supply chain management student.
Limited tickets are available for $25, which includes lunch.
The list of guest speakers includes two with ties to CSUSM. Women’s studies lecturer Cecili Chadwick, who is also a CSUSM alumna, will present “Lost in Translation: Feminism, Power, and Men’s Rights Activism.” Maggie Kay, who graduated in December with a bachelor’s in global supply chain management, will present “Merchants of Misery.” Kay founded the Maggie Kay Foundation to help inform, educate and empower girls to improve their lives through education.
Other speakers include:
- John Caruthers, special advisory FBI agent and head of the San Diego Cyber Security Division;
- Colin Finlay, a renowned photographer;
- Alex Liebeskind, a researcher at Lynett Wave Research Group and USC Coastal Engineering;
- Michael Marckx, global GM of VonZipper;
- David Shad, a LEED Accredited Professional and an assistant professor for the HVAC Design and Control classes at UCSD; and
- Sloane Trugman, founder of Amunet Insights LLC, an information and identity strategy & research firm.
Through TEDxCSUSM, the CSUSM team of students are aiming to create a platform that celebrates the ability of each individual to impact their community.
“It only takes one person to start a movement or revolution,” Blaylock said. “We’re here to provide the spark.”
What: TEDxCSUSM, where x = independently organized TED event, featuring eight speakers around the theme of “Shifting Paradigms.”
When: Saturday, Nov. 4; check-in and art exhibit 11 a.m.-noon; main program, including lunch, noon-4 p.m.
Where: Arts 111, Cal State San Marcos
Cost: $25 (includes lunch)
Parking: Visit CSUSM’s Parking Services website for information
Tickets and information: Visit the TEDxCSUSM website