Another Record-Breaking Giving Day
Cal State San Marcos broke Giving Day records for the second straight year, raising $561,378 in just 24 hours on Nov. 29.
“We’re ecstatic about breaking the university’s Giving Day record,” said Jessica Berger, vice president for University Advancement. “But the most impressive part for me wasn’t the total amount raised – it’s the number of people who made it possible. And that was everyone from students and employees to friends, parents, alumni and community members.
“We are grateful for everyone who helped make Giving Day such a resounding success, one that will have an immediate and lasting impact on our campus community.”
Now in its eighth year at CSUSM, Giving Day is part of Giving Tuesday, an international day focused on philanthropy. This year’s Giving Day total was an increase of 23% compared to last year, when a then-record $457,193 was raised.
The university also set a Giving Day record with 2,539 donations, which came from a wide swath of supporters, including alumni, employees, students, parents, friends and sponsors.
Among the day’s many highlights, CSUSM Foundation Board Director Nathaniel Keifer-Wheals (’09, ’21) made a $100,000 gift in support of a future Integrated Science and Engineering Building. Keifer-Wheals along with Foundation Board Chair Steve Wagner and his wife, Laura, also supported Giving Day challenges. A unique and beloved part of CSUSM’s Giving Day, challenges add a friendly competition to the day, as donors strategize to hopefully turn their gift into additional donations for the funds that they love.
Additionally, impressive matches were provided by SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union and North City.
Nearly 60 campus ambassadors helped spread the word about Giving Day and brought in a collective 344 gifts. Campus Recreation’s sports club program participated in Giving Day for the first time, collectively raising more than $14,000.
Did you miss your chance to donate on Giving Day? You can still make a meaningful impact on the program you love. Give today!
Know a CSUSM project that needs funding? Connect with the Office of Annual Giving to launch a Cougar Crowdfunding project.
- CSUSM Foundaton Board Chair Steve Wagner holds a check showing E Sports as the recipient of a 12-hour student challenge on Giving Day. Photo by Alicia Lores
- Floyd Lai, director of the Cross-Cultural Center, and Foundation Board Director Nathaniel Keifer-Wheals hold a check showing the CCC as a recipient of a repeat donor bonus on Giving Day. Photo by Alicia Lores
- Members of TRIO celebrate receiving a repeat donor bonus on Giving Day. Photo by Alicia Lores
- Members of the DREAMer Resource Office celebrate receiving an alumni benchmark bonus on Giving Day. Photo by Alicia Lores
- Members of the Black Student Center celebrate receiving an alumni throwback bonus on Giving Day. Photo by Alicia Lores
Eric Breier, Public Affairs Specialist
email@example.com | Office: 760-750-7314